Monday

Top 5 Worst Chicago Sports Media Personalities

Honorable Mention:

Kendal Gill: Like his personality, but he just doesn’t get it done at the Bulls studio personality. Without Norm, his lack of on-screen presence is even more dramatic.

Dan Pompei: I can’t remember one article of his that I found interesting. Other notables, Steve McMichael, that Kaplan dude on Comcast Sportsnet, Dan McNeil.

5. K.C. Johnson: By all accounts K.C. seems like a really nice guy. He reminds me of a 10th year senior in college, just enjoying where he is at in life. No worries. Unfortunately, as a Bulls beat reporter K.C. adds nothing to my reading enjoyment. Not once have I read a story and felt like I’ve read anything meaningful. His reporting is so irrelevant and dull that you get the sense that he doesn’t even like basketball or maybe it’s just the Bulls. Either way, note to the person not reading this: It’s time for K.C. to move on. Maybe he should cover the Northwestern baseball team or something.

4. John Jurkovic and Harry Teinowitz from the afternoon saloon. A lot of my friends like these two with Carmen Defalco (someone I like), but I can’t get into them. They are the Jersey A team to number 2 below.

3. Rick Telander/ Rick Morrisey: It’s not so much that I find these columnists to be bad, but that they just fail do deliver. They have the pole position on all the top stories, but never seem to provide any interesting material. For the past 4 years, I cannot honestly say that I have read one interesting article from these two. As I like to say, they are a third world country’s poor man’s Rick Reilly. It’s upsetting that a great sports city like Chicago has these two as its premier columnists. I understand that they used to be prominent, especially Telander, but maybe writers are like everyone else; at some point writing becomes a job. And no one likes their job. I sense that these older writers sometimes just don’t’ like what they are doing anymore (think… Tony Kornheiser). Note to the person not reading this: We Chicago Sport’s fans need something to look forward to in our paper every morning. These two don’t get it done.

2. Boers and Bernstein: I’ve never heard two people more in love with themselves than these two. Their entire show consists of a series of inside jokes that only two insiders would find funny; namely, Boers and Bernstein. They remind me of the two weird kids in high school that constantly cracked each other up with Beavis and Butthead jokes or lines from the Simpsons. Except that those kids were actually cooler than these two. You know because they were in high-school. Note to the person not reading this: If you fired B & B, would anyone care?

1. Mike North*: Only Mike North can make B & B seem interesting and sensible. I won’t go into detail about North. Either you like him (and are retarded) or hate him (a normal human being). North’s failure to add any value to any conversation is only overshadowed by his obnoxious personality and annoying voice. Luckily for us viewers, he is no longer on the mainstream radio waves. Note to the person not reading this: You have somehow been able to make the cuddly and fan favorite Dan Jiggets into a nobody by pairing him with North. Congrats, what’s next? Making Obama sounds as retarded as Bush?


* If Marrioti were still a Chicago sports personality, he would be #1.


---

1 comment:

Streitdan said...

Mully and Hanley on the Score have sent me over to Mike and Mike in the Morning. I prefer local radio personalities but can no longer take the constant chuckling, whether or not what's said is funny. There's got to be better talent for this morning slot. Maybe David Kaplan's ready for a change.